Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 00:28:46 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: md5crypt-opencl

On 2013-12-10 00:01, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
> 2013/11/26 Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>:
>> After removing PUTCHAR(0x80) from md5_digest():
>> Tahiti@...er: 2660K c/s
>> TITAN: 2621K c/s
>> GTX 570: 1198K c/s
>> Tahiti@...l: 2359K c/s
>>

>> I'll try to get rid of 8-bit r/w now.
>
> Just a small status update. I implemented that, there is no big
> difference when passlength%8==0 and saltlength%8==0 (best case
> scenario), but there is a significant difference when rw's are not
> aligned.
> (...)

The cherry-picked test vectors are totally cheating so this is a great
improvement.

> This week I am planning to play a bit with local memory.

Great. Would it be too much work for you to post a complete patch
(assuming it seems stable) with your current code first, for committing?
I'd like a few milestones rather than a giant untracked leap.

Eventually we should come up with an idea how to best (quick, simple,
safe) sort candidates per length. This would be a very good boost for
rar-opencl too but I have yet to come up with an idea simple enough to
be interesting. I really want it simple and beautyful or I'll leave it
alone.

magnum