Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 02:21:47 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: otp-md5 format

On 2013-10-11 12:47, Michael Samuel wrote:
> I've taken a quick look at the code, but was hoping somebody could
> give me some shortcuts.  I saw the wiki page on writing formats, but
> it seemed to only has a vague reference to the format plugin api
> (which is what you want now, right?)

There are two kinds of plugins: One is binary (presumably for
closed-source formats) and I know very little about it. The other one is
that you just have your new source file name end in "_fmt_plug.c". This
will make it be used automatically without adding lines in john.c - you
just create the new file in src/ and re-build.

> First, is there a salted hash format that I could hollow out and reuse
> fairly easily?

I think md4_gen_fmt_plug.c is a good template for you. Copy that,
keeping the suffix of "_fmt_plug.c" and as a minimum change FORMAT_LABEL
and the "fmt_md4_gen" name at the bottom.

> Second, I added to md5.c an alternative MD5Final that fills in 2
> unsigned ints {a^c, b^d}, but I noticed in the header that there's a
> #ifdef OPENSSL there - does that mean that the JtR md5 doesn't get
> used if OpenSSL is linked in?

If you mean HAVE_OPENSSL, it's not defined so your code will be used.

magnum