Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 12:40:08 +0200
From: Rafael Waldo Delgado Doblas <lord.rafa@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Rafael's weekly report #13

Hello Alexander,

2013/9/10 Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>

> I hope by "improving" it you mean starting to use macros to the greatest
> extent possible, committing that, and then starting with instruction
> scheduling (and consequently with making macros larger, so that you can
> schedule instructions inside them as required to avoid stalls), and
> committing that too.  I'd like to see at least two commits along the way
> (first with maximum use of macros, then with instruction scheduling).

Yes, I mean that

As described above, these two tasks shouldn't take you more than two
> days, combined.  Surely good asm code may take many days to polish, but
> in a day or two you ought to be able to bring it to a state that at
> least looks similar (in terms of approach taken) to Katja's bcrypt code.
> So please try, and please report on that on Wednesday or Thursday, so
> that we can move forward with further aspects of the task.

Ok, this should be finished by tomorrow. At least ASM with macros and rest
of stuff.

> Also, what has happened to my request to keep the pure C version of the
> code in there and usable (as a compile-time option)?  Did you read that
> message at all?  (This is a reason why I prefer that you do inline
> quoting - that way, I am more confident that you have read the message
> that you reply to.)

Sorry, I forget add it to the report, but yes it's in my todo list.

> BTW, you still have that byte-by-byte blkcpy() - and no plans on fixing
> that?  It's a trivial and quick task (one hour?), yet something you
> could do as well.  Luckily, in your current code blkcpy() is only used
> in SHA-256 and PBKDF2, not in SMix, yet you could make this trivial
> optimization to it.

Sure I'l do that.

> I understand that you might be frustrated by how we've been using your
> time this summer for not-so-important tasks only, yet this is largely a
> result of my unhappiness with the slow progress and not so great quality
> of your work.  I simply do not dare to throw more tasks at you yet, and
> GSoC is already almost over.

Well, about this, I'm frustrated because I didn't have a roadmap with
deadlines and milestones. Mostly of the weeks I was lost about what I
should do. Any way even if I feel that my work is useless, at least I have
learned new stuff then I still thinking that this has been positive and I
will try to do my best up to the end.

> For example, there's an easy optimization task for JtR jumbo code that
> runs on all platforms (so not Parallella specific).  It'd be a one
> evening task for me.  If you feel bored with the current stuff and need
> to do something immediately useful, to boost your confidence and thus
> further work (including this Litecoin mining on Parallella stuff), let
> me know and I can describe this task to you.  It might not be a one
> evening task for you, but it shouldn't take you more than a couple of
> days either.

Yes, it would be nice, I will try to finish the task listed above between
today and tomorrow, then I will have time between Thursday and Monday.

Regards,
Rafael.

Content of type "text/html" skipped