Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 19:18:35 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: mask mode bug

On 8 sep 2013, at 18:45, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
>> With GWS=65536, memory usage reduces to "740MB" - still too much for
>> cracking of one hash, but is more reasonable.  Unfortunately, the speed
>> is worse:
>>
>> 0g 0:00:03:04 0g/s 1976Kp/s 1342Mc/s 1342MC/s aaabetnqcu..aaabetpmpb
>
> The key buffer should be 640KB (n.b. not MB) in this case.

That's not correct, it's about 3.5 MB allocated - but we only transfer 640KB at a key length of 10.

> Considering we only have a single hash, I wonder what is using hundreds of megabytes of memory?

Apparently it always allocates bitmap structs for 32 million hashes regardless of actual number loaded. And it allocates some kind of hash table with a fixed size of 512 MB. I presume this will be dynamically allocated later.

magnum