Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 18:35:18 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Daniel's weekly report #12

Daniel,

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 03:47:25PM +0200, D?niel Bali wrote:
> CRC-32 could work. One question: what do you mean by CRC-32 as a JtR format?
> Would this have to run inside the JtR "framework"?

Yes.  We already have a CRC-32 JtR format in jumbo, it works on CPU.
You'd produce the same on GPU, using gcnasm for the GPU code, as a
sample and a baseline for further work on JtR formats that use gcnasm.
Since this is primarily a sample, please keep the code simple.  Its
speed is unimportant.  In fact, it will certainly run slower than its
CPU equivalent, because of all the data transfers to/from GPU (unless
you implement mask mode on GPU, which Sayantan is working on - but you
should not bother with that yet).  We need a very basic/skeleton format
showing how code written using gcnasm can be integrated into JtR.

Alexander