Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 13:44:50 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Parallella: Litecoin mining

Rafael,

Your epiphany-scrypt.c currently contains the entire scrypt (albeit
specialized to the parameter values needed for Litecoin mining).

This means that it contains not only Salsa20/8, BlockMix, and SMix, but
also SHA-256 and PBKDF2.  Given that in scrypt almost all processing
time is spent in SMix, we should move SHA-256 and PBKDF2 to host.  Leave
only SMix on Epiphany.  This will free up some local memory, which
should enable us to decrease the TMTO factor.

Ideally, the two PBKDF2 computations (before and after SMix) that we'll
perform on host should overlap with SMix computation on Epiphany.

Alexander