Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 12:02:06 +0200
From: Sylvain Munaut <246tnt@...il.com>
To: Katja Malvoni <kmalvoni@...il.com>
Cc: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: FPGA reprogramming on ZedBoard / Parallella board

Hi,

> Sylvain, is there something wrong with how I generate .bin file from
> bitstream?

The commands you pasted look fine.

And honestly I don't really see how the bitstream would even influence
the ethernet. The ethernet is connected to the MIO pins and those are
configured by the FSBL and independent of the FPGA PL fabric. You
could have no bitstream loaded at all that the ethernet should work.

When you say "Ethernet stops working". Are you sure the cpu still runs
and it didn't crash ? Can you use the serial console and still
interact with the on-board linux ? Or is it possible the whole PS
system crashed ?

Currently my thought would be that the whole CPU crashes because the
new bitstream you're loading doesn't have the peripheral expected to
be present for the given device tree. When you boot with the system
that was shipped originally on the SD card (which is different from
the files on the ftp!), it boots to a linux desktop and has hdmi and
audio support and some other stuff that are all implemented in the PL.
If you then load a bitstream that doesn't have those in the PL, the
loaded drivers could try to issue bus requests that will go unanswered
and just crash / kernel panic ...

Cheers,

     Sylvain