Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 09:26:39 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Self-test-specific code defeats the whole idea of self-test

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:

> We should definitely add a mask-mode self-test when fmt.method->set_mask
> != fmt_default_set_mask.
>
> How is set_mask() used? Is it called once before the normal
> set_key/set_salt/crypt_all loop or is it called within that loop?
>
> We should also add mask mode to the benchmark, so we get to see some new
> cool speeds. Maybe this will be a third set of figures? Perhaps another
> "Only one salt" (or "Raw") that uses mask mode?

set_mask() is called once before cracking starts i.e after reset(db!=NULL)
and before first crypt_all(salt!=NULL).
Please note that mask mode can be used by any format even though they do
not support key generation on GPU.
I use the flag db->max_int_keys to specify whether a format supports
internal key generation or not. This flag is currently supposed to be set
inside reset. When we implement self-test for mask mode we would have to
move this flag to format specification and set the flag during format
initialization.

But before we can implement a test for mask mode, we need to remove the
restriction self-test imposes.

Regards,
Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped