Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 18:11:13 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Sylvain Munaut <246tnt@...il.com>
Cc: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: FPGA reprogramming on ZedBoard / Parallella board

Sylvain,

On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 03:57:19PM +0200, Sylvain Munaut wrote:
> Well it wasn't exactly clear what you rebuilt and from what, so I
> assumed you rebuilt both the bitstream and the sd card BOOT.BIN.
>
> The fsbl/kernel/device tree that was shipped with the prototype (and
> that did HDMI) is meant for the ADI reference design and shouldn't be
> used with the "barebone" bitstream in anycase. And if you use the
> sd_card_files from the FTP for the barebone design, those have the
> device tree issue preventing the ethernet to work at 100M.

I am a bit confused.

Here's what we're doing:

On a system that I guess you refer to as "shipped with the prototype",
with its BOOT.BIN intact, we're trying to load a new bitstream (and only
it) with:

mknod /dev/xdevcfg c 259 0
cat bitstream.bin > /dev/xdevcfg

This works fine when using either the same bitstream extracted from the
currently used BOOT.BIN (so we're "replacing" the bitstream with itself,
just as a sanity check) or the original/demo ZedBoard bitstream
similarly extracted from their BOOT.BIN.  In the latter case, we're no
longer able to access Epiphany, as expected, but everything else works -
and we're able to access Epiphany again after loading Parallella's
bitstream extracted from the currently used BOOT.BIN.  So we can switch
these two bitstreams fine with the "cat" command above.

Now, things fail (Ethernet stops working after 5 seconds or so) with
Katja's regenerated Parallella bitstream.  This happens both with ISE
14.6 (tried this one first) and 14.4.

Is this somehow a combination that is not supposed to work?  If so, why
does the original/demo ZedBoard bitstream work fine under the same
conditions?

All 4 bitstreams (extracted from Parallella's BOOT.BIN, extracted from
ZedBoard demo BOOT.BIN, Katja's generated on 14.6 and on 14.4) are of
exactly 4045564 bytes, so look correct for the chip and of correct format.

Thank you for your help!

Alexander