Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 05:07:03 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Parallella: bcrypt

Hi Katja,

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 02:04:06AM +0200, Katja Malvoni wrote:
> [...] I need a way to preload P arrays in
> assembly and implementing whole loop in assembly was my only idea.

When you're still using gcc's inline asm, would you be able to declare
those 36 registers as clobbered?  I thought you mentioned a list of 30
regs specified in the asm statement - does this apply to clobbered regs
as well?  If you can't specify all 36, then with inline asm you'd be
stuck between suboptimal code (preloading fewer than all 36 elements)
and unreliable code (which may break with any recompile in a slightly
different environment).  So this would be yet another reason for you to
move to using a separate assembly source file.

Alexander