Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 01:40:15 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Next salt for salted hashes ?

Hi Alexander,

I'm wondering what is the proper way of getting the next salt which will be
actually loaded next time when crypt_all is called ?

For example: if we have this list say salt0 - > salt1 -> salt2 -> salt3 ->
NULL

Observation I: When the current salt is say salt0 then the next salt(salt1)
can be obtained by doing salt->next in crypt_all but when crypt all is
called for actual next time, it is still called again with salt0. This
happens when the cracking starts.

Observation II: After salt3 , salt0 is called but salt->next is NULL. How
do I move the pointer to beginning of the uncracked salt list which is not
necessarily salt0 ?

Is there any way I can predict what is the actual next salt that will be
called in next crypt_all ? I can make a dirty hack(within the format
itself) to get around both these problems but it is better if I have a
clean procedure for getting the next uncracked salt.

I need this for async transfer of salt and its associated loaded hashes and
bitmapas.

Regards,
Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped