Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 04:57:19 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: cryptocurrency mining fallback in JtR

Hi,

Rafael - I asked Lukas to help co-mentor your GSoC projects, including
the two sub-tasks we're currently discussing (JtR/cgminer integration
and Litecoin mining on Parallella boards).  Unfortunately, I might not
have enough time myself.

Lukas - thank you for your help!

Lukas, Rafael -

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 01:44:31AM +0200, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
> 2013/7/25 Rafael Waldo Delgado Doblas <lord.rafa@...il.com>:
> > Hello, I think that this looks better but I prefer await up to Solar answer
> > because he commands me to remove the word "mine" because those options are
> > inside of the Miner section.
>
> Then StartsAfterEnd could be better, somehow option "AfterEnd=1" is
> not clear to me what will happen after end (end of what?).
> Ideally options should not require any comments.
> This might sounds silly to spend time discussing it, but it is better
> to do that now rather changing it after people post their configs on
> the web/blogs.

I agree that the "AfterEnd" name is weird, and I'd like us to arrive at
a better name.  However, as to using some final name that we won't need
to change, please note that we have yet to change more than just this
option name - we also need to introduce smarter logic for whether to
start mining after cracking.  So maybe this option will need to change
from being a Boolean to being "minimum seconds since last keypress
required to start mining", and e.g. value -1 would disable mining (to be
documented in a nearby comment).  Or maybe having two options is cleaner
(a Boolean and a number, even though the latter will only be used when
the Boolean is true).  I am not sure.

Lukas, Rafael - I'll let you figure this out and decide on it on your own.

Thanks,

Alexander