Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 22:38:43 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Sayantan's weekly report #5

Hi Sayantan,

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 08:16:54PM +0530, Sayantan Datta wrote:
> Accomplishments:
> - mask mode for Raw-MD5-opencl.

Great.  Is it normal (for your current tree) that descrypt-opencl and
raw-md5-opencl fail --test (in fact, the former segfaults) and that only
--mask mode works (no other modes)?

> Priorities:
> -  debug the Raw-MD5-opencl password generator, there are some deeper
> bugs(could be compiler) that is causing wrong password to be generated in
> some cases.
> -  Optimize Raw-MD5-opencl. Current max speed is nearly 3100 M c/s

I've experimented with it a little.  It successfully cracked my test
password (given a proper mask).  The reported speeds appear to be wrong.
I am getting:

solar@...l:~/j/s/JohnTheRipper/run$ time ./john -form=raw-md5-opencl pw -mask=?l?l?l?l?l?l?l?l
Device 0: Tahiti (AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series )
Local worksize (LWS) 64, global worksize (GWS) 4194304
Loaded 1 password hash (Raw-MD5-opencl [MD5 OpenCL (inefficient, development use only)])
[...]
0g 0:00:01:02 0g/s 4944Kp/s 4944Kc/s 4944KC/s aoyuhtur..CHECK
Session completed

real    1m19.917s
user    1m14.749s
sys     0m59.696s

However, 26^8/62 = 3368178460, which is 3368M, not 4944K.

Also, why does it spend 17 seconds on initialization - what is it doing
during that time?  Note: most of these 17 seconds are after the Loaded
line appears, so it's not LWS/GWS tuning.

> -  Start a new format. Please discuss!!

I think NTLM, MSCash (DCC), LM may be next.  (You don't have LM on GPU
yet, right?  So you'd need to implement it along with mask right away.)

Also, how about making your code closer to becoming suitable for merging
into the main bleeding-jumbo tree?  What would you need to do to make a
merge possible?

> -  write experimental isa code using Daniel's gcnasm.

This could help Daniel's project, so I would in fact appreciate it if
you give this a try - just don't let it result in your own project
getting stuck/abandoned.  Thanks!

> git clone https://github.com/Sayantan2048/JohnTheRipper.git -b
> bleeding-jumbo

Alexander