Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 23:44:34 -0700
From: Jeremi Gosney <epixoip@...dshell.nl>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GPGPU SLI/CROSSFIRE

On 7/14/2013 11:29 PM, Sayantan Datta wrote:
> Oh, I thought crossfire is just a name given to identical multi-gpus
> in a system.  I didn't recognize it as something related to software
> which you can enable or disable.

It is probably used that way colloquially. But Crossfire is actually a
specific technology for linking two or more GPUs together via an
interconnect, allowing them to cooperatively process graphics. You
attach a bridge connector to physically interconnect the cards, and then
you use Catalyst to enable the interconnect between them. This allows
two or more GPUs to be seen as essentially one GPU for graphics processing.

If you just do compute, then you do not need to attach the Crossfire
bridge to each GPU for OpenCL to use multiple devices. If you do both
gaming & compute, it's okay to have the Crossfire bridge connected as
long as you disable Crossfire in Catalyst before starting a compute job.