Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 00:12:02 -0700
From: Jeremi Gosney <epixoip@...dshell.nl>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new dev box wishes

On 7/12/2013 10:47 PM, marcus.desto wrote:
> I recommend liquid cooling for highend gpus devices:

No.

> Advantages are obvious, besides low noise. Esspecially live time is an issue.

IIUC this box is colocated in a datacenter. No respectable datacenter
will allow you to rack up anything water cooled. They will laugh you out
of the building.

> I heard a lot of times peoples high end gpus (esspecially the ati 4000, 5000 series) died,
> because of overheating after fan failure.

Fan failure is not very common. And most people who have experienced fan
failure, experience it because they keep their systems in a high dust
environment, or the fan gets clogged with pet hair or something. In the
proper environment, fan failure is rare.

> I am wondering why vendors still ship high end gpu devices with air fans knowing the gpus produce enormous heat.

Water cooling was a passing fad. It's expensive, it's a major pain in
the ass, and when it fails, it fails spectacularly. All of the serious
password crackers who have flirted with water cooling have gone back to
air cooling.

> I am wondering whether it is really necessary to use high end gpu devices in high end PCIe slots (i.e. AMD 7990 in PCIe v3 16x) when using the device for GPGPU purposes.

No, it's not necessary. You can run a GPU on a 1x slot if you'd like.

- epixoip.