Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 08:15:03 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new dev box wishes

On Saturday 13 July 2013 06:45 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 08:22:01PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:54:46PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
>>> Our Xeon Phi 5110P should arrive on Tuesday
>> That was a week ago, and it did arrive.  Here are some pics of it,
>> including with the blue shroud removed:
>>
>> http://openwall.info/wiki/internal/xeon_phi
>>
>> It didn't fit into a couple of server platforms that were readily
>> available.  The next thing to try is likely installing some cooling fans
>> intended for 1U chassis right onto the Xeon Phi card, thus producing
>> airflow similar to what the card would be exposed to in proper chassis.
>> Maybe one or two of these:
>>
>> http://www.srv-trade.ru/catalog/3918429255/FAN-0086L/
>> http://www.srv-trade.ru/catalog/3918429255/FAN-0086L4/
>>
>> (12k RPM, so must be very noisy, but that's OK for this machine).
> This was attempted:
>
> http://openwall.info/wiki/internal/xeon_phi#An-attempt-at-cooling-it
>
> but it turned out not to matter yet, because Xeon Phi simply doesn't
> work in this motherboard:
>
> http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,12801.0.html
>
> For now, our new dev box has been setup with GPUs, but without Xeon Phi.
> I am running some Bitcoin mining as a stress-test on its 3 GPUs at the
> moment.  7990's first GPU got to 93C at first, but then I forced 7990's
> fans speed to 100% (somehow it didn't go above 74% on its own) and the
> temperatures dropped to under 90C.
>
> solar@...l:~/j/bleeding-jumbo/run$ ./john -te -form=mscash2-opencl -dev=0,1,4
> Device 0: Tahiti (AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series )
> Optimal Work Group Size:128
> Kernel Execution Speed (Higher is better):1.692624
> Optimal Global Work Size:278528
> Device 1: Tahiti (AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series )
> Optimal Work Group Size:256
> Kernel Execution Speed (Higher is better):1.692732
> Optimal Global Work Size:557056
> Device 4: GeForce GTX TITAN
> Optimal Work Group Size:1024
> Kernel Execution Speed (Higher is better):1.040073
> Optimal Global Work Size:729088
> Benchmarking: mscash2-opencl, M$ Cache Hash 2 (DCC2) [PBKDF2-SHA1 OpenCL]... DONE
> Raw:    273066 c/s real, 113212 c/s virtual
>
> Alexander

Looks awwwsome.
Did you contact Intel customer care about this problem ? Motherboard
seems to be fine execept for xeon phi. It could be a cpu issue as well
because pcie controllers are on the cpu and probably motherboard
manufactures can't do much about it.
7990 seems to be OCed or perhaps turbo clocks are kicking in.

Regards,
Sayantan