Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 15:11:49 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PBKDF2 hash_out treatment

On 10 Jul, 2013, at 14:19 , marcus.desto <marcus.desto@...pl> wrote:
> I think I have found the problem.
>
> It is the salt size. My reference input contained a salt with size 32. As I switched to 4 (your test input), the opencl implementation worked well with pyopencl.
>
> Now. I tried different lengths of salt. Finally, I can confirm, that pbkdf2_hmac_sha1_unsplit_kernel.cl produces wrong hashes since length of the input salt string is >23.

That is odd. Off the top of my head it should work fine with salt length up to 51 or something like that.

> I would like to mention that I did not convert the input strings to UTF-8.

For an ASCII salt, UTF-8 encoding is exactly the same as the ASCII. Only 8-bit characters (0x80 and above) will result in a different UTF-8 string.

I will have a look at this within 24h or so unless someone else finds the problem.

magnum