Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 10:39:04 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: LWS/GWS setup best practice

On 9 Jul, 2013, at 9:26 , Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com> wrote:
> magnum, Claudio:
> 1) Where I can find current best practice in implementing LWS/GWS
> setup and gpu buffers management?
> I looked at some files but and there are many versions of that.

I think for now you could look at wpapsk-opencl. Everything was not fully settled when Claudio's hardware went tits up and he took a break from development. Plans were to move more stuff to shared code and I think that work was started but not finished.

> 2) In common-opencl.h we have 4 versions of opencl_init:
>
> void opencl_init_dev(unsigned int sequential_id);
> void opencl_init(char *kernel_filename, unsigned int sequential_id);
> void opencl_init_opt(char *kernel_filename, unsigned int
> sequential_id, char *options);
> void opencl_init_auto_setup(
>        int p_default_value, int p_hash_loops, int p_number_of_events,
> 	int * p_split_events, const char ** p_warnings,
> 	cl_event * p_to_profile_event, struct fmt_main * p_self,
> 	void (*p_create_clobj)(int gws, struct fmt_main * self),
> 	void (*p_release_clobj)(void), int p_buffer_size, size_t p_gws_limit);

We also had plans to add more comments in common-opencl.h, it definitely lacks some. During the somewhat experimental evolution of common-opencl we often added new functionality without breaking the old API. So for example, when we added opencl_init_opt() [which can pass eg. -DSTUFF to kernel compiler] we left opencl_init() API as-is so old formats needed no change. Nothing stops us from merging such functions at some point in time but it will involve editing all OpenCL formats.

magnum