Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 20:05:14 +0100
From: Rafael Waldo Delgado Doblas <lord.rafa@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: cryptocurrency mining fallback in JtR (was:
 Parallella: scrypt)

2. We'll need to come up with and implement the condition of when the
call to cgminer code is made vs. when it is skipped - e.g., the call is
only made when the corresponding configuration settings are present in
john.conf and the current cracking session (that has just ended) took
more than N minutes and it was not interrupted, and it's been at least M
minutes since last keypress.  Something like that.

Mmm ok for the prototype, I will add a parameter that runs only the cgminer
code. Some thing like --runminer, it will look in the jonh.cfg for the
cgminer parameters and will start to mine. I cannot see why run a cracking
session at the same time of mining, why it's suppose an advantage?

Regards,
Rafael.

2013/7/4 Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>

> Rafael,
>
> I've changed the Subject because this sub-project has little to do with
> Parallella.  The only relevance is that some of the experience you'd
> gain would also be useful when you proceed to implement Litecoin mining
> on Epiphany - hopefully, soon.  You'll revert the Subject on messages
> pertaining to that then.
>
> On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 06:45:39PM +0100, Rafael Waldo Delgado Doblas
> wrote:
> > Ok, then the cgminer integration with JtR, Is it just call from JtR to
> > cgminer?
>
> Almost, but also a few things more:
>
> 1. The settings from cgminer should be input via john.conf rather than
> via command-line - although, for simplicity, you may keep cgminer's
> command-line parsing and have it work on a "command line" passed via a
> john.conf setting (e.g., it can be "cgminer = ...").
>
> 2. We'll need to come up with and implement the condition of when the
> call to cgminer code is made vs. when it is skipped - e.g., the call is
> only made when the corresponding configuration settings are present in
> john.conf and the current cracking session (that has just ended) took
> more than N minutes and it was not interrupted, and it's been at least M
> minutes since last keypress.  Something like that.
>
> 3. If JtR was running a GPU-enabled format, we also need:
>
> > I don't get what do you mean here: "Also, when JtR was using a GPU for
> > password cracking, it's the exact same GPU that should be used for that
> JtR
> > invocation's Litecoin mining when the cracking has completed."
>
> Consider a multi-GPU system.  Someone ran JtR such that it was using
> e.g. GPU device #2 on OpenCL platform #1.  When that cracking session
> has completed, that specific GPU is about to become idle.  We don't want
> it to stay idle, we want to make use of it for the mining.  Not some
> other GPU, nor CPU.  (Other GPUs and some CPU cores may already be in
> use by other JtR invocations, manual cgminer invocations, or whatever.)

> I gave this more thought, and I think you should keep cgminer's Bitcoin
> support as well (on GPU only) when you integrate it into JtR.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alexander

Content of type "text/html" skipped