Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 13:07:58 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new dev box wishes

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 10:33:34AM +0200, magnum wrote:
> On 28 Jun, 2013, at 10:15 , Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > 2. Purchase a suitable server platform and move the Xeon Phi to there.
> > http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/Xeon_Phi.cfm
>
> I am acquainted with similar SuperMicro 1U chassis's. Excellent cooling and the ones I've worked with have been trouble free (as well as inexpensive).

These are less expensive than the TYAN that Jeremi is using, but not
exactly inexpensive either - starting at $2.5k here for a suitable
platform (including PSU and motherboard), plus another $2k+ for two
CPUs adequate for this platform (OK, can choose a crappy CPU and install
just one - then it's cheaper), plus RAM, plus disk.  If we'd (need to)
install four Xeon Phi's (in 2U), that cost would be acceptable, but for
just one it feels excessive.

Alexander