Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 22:58:49 +0100
From: Rafael Waldo Delgado Doblas <lord.rafa@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Parallella: scrypt

Hello Alexander,

I have checked the scrypt TMTO version that you send me. If I understand
the algorithm correctly, In order to reduce the memory used, we compute Xi
sequentially* in the first "for" but instead of store all Xi in V, we only
store those that makes i%exploit_tmto=0. Then in the second "for" we need
to calculate again Xj if j%exploit_tmto != 0, using the immediately smaller
Xb that makes b%exploit_tmto=0, as base to calculate it. Please tell me if
I make any mistake.

Also would like to know, why do you said to me that this approach is not
valid to be integrated into JtR? Is it only because as you said before,
only a smaller portion of the allocated region is actually used or there
any other reason?.

I almost know what the functions of scrypt do, at least in a general idea,
but I still having doubts with the integerify(X, r), may someone explain it
a little bit better? because in "http://www.tarsnap.com/scrypt/scrypt.pdf"
I couldn't see too much about it.

Furthermore the tmto is only useful for Epiphany because we have only 32K
and Litecoin needs 128K, is it right?. Also the only way to use paralleling
computer is create multiple instances of scrypt algorithm computing
different keys*, is it true?.

BTW Now, I was checking about Anthony's scrypt time-memory tradeoff
defeater and the solution proposed to attack it here: "
http://www.openwall.com/lists/crypt-dev/2013/03/17/1"

After this, what should be my next task? Litecoin integration with JtR or
try to move scrypt to Epiphany?

Best regards,
Rafael.

* because smix is sequential memory-hard under Random Oracle model

Content of type "text/html" skipped