Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 13:20:56 -0300
From: Claudio André <claudioandre.br@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bug: GPU use in CPU-only formats

Using AMD hardware is easy to profile and assure nothing really strange is happening. Unfortunately, I never did that.

> On 2 Jul, 2013, at 16:53 , Claudio Andr? <claudioandre.br@...il.com> wrote:
> >> Strange. I'll have a look. I have noticed that my laptop switches from HD4000 to GT650M even when running non-GPU formats but I thought that was due to some fuzzy logic (with earlier drivers I think such switching was actually made mostly or solely from a whitelist).
> >
> > The memory allocation makes sense. Two GPU 'pointers' are initialized during startup and not released until exit.
>
> Yeah, but 62 MB? I'd love to be able to revert to the previous nvidia driver and compare.

Too much, i agree. But after a glimpse inside common code, I can confirm
that we only keep context and queue opened (host code, host memory). For
some reason, the driver prepares itself to the third world war, but only
the GPU format file deals with kernel details, so nothing could be running.

The easiest solution is to close these pointers and reopen them only
inside format init(). This should fix the problem. But, have you
considered that this could be caused only by NVIDIA OpenCL library
initialization? The library itself allocates temp buffer(s) for its own use.

Content of type "text/html" skipped