Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 15:04:51 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new dev box wishes (was: Contest)

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:43:28PM +0200, magnum wrote:
> I'm sceptic to overclocking in general and for development in particular. I can only see significant downsides.

OK, although card vendor's overclocking is a bit different, and it feels
weird to pay for a Titan at stock clocks since it gives performance that
is barely better than the much cheaper GTX 780's (except at
double precision floating-point).  Anyway, I've counted your vote for
stock clocks.

> On a side note I think we should install VCL as well, and see if we need to tweak something in order to make it run properly. I did some tests with mscash2-opencl in a little VCL cluster and it did not work very well. Not sure if it's our code or VCL that is broken, it might well be the latter. VCL is closed source though (otoh all GPU drivers are too).

FYI, I intend to host the new dev box in a different physical location
than bull, so trying to do VCL between them would probably be slow
because of added latency (several network hops):

10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 9000ms

Alexander