Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 12:43:28 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new dev box wishes (was: Contest)

On 26 Jun, 2013, at 11:48 , Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 08:54:52AM +0530, Sayantan Datta wrote:
>> Have we considered Titan ?
>
> (...)
> Here's a question: do we want the Titan at stock clocks or one of those
> vendor-overclocked models (can be up to 10% faster)?  In other words, do
> we want our benchmark results to represent stock Titan, or do we want
> better speeds (and we'd have to mention the weird clock rates each time
> we publish benchmarks obtained on our Titan)?

I'm sceptic to overclocking in general and for development in particular. I can only see significant downsides.

>> Can we use the two GPUs on a 7990 separately ?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If not we shouldn't be replacing 7970 on bull either.
>
> bull will stay as it is, at least for now.

On a side note I think we should install VCL as well, and see if we need to tweak something in order to make it run properly. I did some tests with mscash2-opencl in a little VCL cluster and it did not work very well. Not sure if it's our code or VCL that is broken, it might well be the latter. VCL is closed source though (otoh all GPU drivers are too).

> The tentative config for the new dev box is:
>
> CPU: 4770K
>
> Motherboard: one of those with four PCIe 16x slots - but we'd probably
> use at most 3, so that we don't burn it.  The PCIe lane counts might be
> 8-8-4-4 or 8-8-8-8 (the latter costs a lot more, though).
>
> PCIe cards:
> 7990
> Titan
> Xeon Phi 5110P