Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:49:31 +0200
From: Dániel Bali <balijanosdaniel@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Daniel's weekly report #1

Hello!

2013/6/18 Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>

> Please post your conclusions about that in sha3-opencl topic.

I'll take some time to do that today.

> As far as I know you spend near a day to setup your Linux development
> environment, this is revelant and you should mention it.
> I assume that this is finished by now.

Yes, unfortunately I had to spend a whole day on that. It is finished now.

> Please finish it asap, It should be already done. We do not want to
> spend more time on that.

Okay, that is the first thing I'm doing today.

> Beacause planning this research project is painfull and possibly
> inefficient I think that we should focus on tasks, sort them in time
> and just do as much as you can each week.
> Some of the tasks will have to be added ad hoc but since project will
> be moving in a good direction this should not be a problem.
> This is really challenging project and without a lot of work it will
> be hard to achieve goals.
> What stays placed in time is all gsoc important dates, status reports
> and date of your absence.

Okay, sounds good.

I think that it should take max 2 days to make something usefull
> enough for our initial purposes.
> After that you should move to researching kernel structure, and
> creating code able to convert isa asm to binary for a limited set of
> ALU instructions.

I spent yesterday reading libelf documentation/examples. I should be able
to finish this task today.
It turns out that libelf cannot/does not update any headers when the data
for a section is changed so it will have to be done manually.
My idea is to create two "skeleton" elfs with missing .text sections that
the application will patch.
First the ISA microcode will be patched into the second elf then the second
elf will be patched into the first.

Regards,
Daniel

Content of type "text/html" skipped