Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 22:26:34 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Bleeding jumbo: more GPU formats missing "split() unifies case" flag and other differences in format flags

On 2 Jun, 2013, at 23:51 , Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
> Beside the raw-sha1-opencl, these GPU formats seem to have the same issue:
>
> raw-sha224      00020003
> raw-sha224-cuda 00000003
>
> raw-sha256      00020003
> raw-sha256-cuda 00000003
>
> raw-sha512      00020003
> raw-sha512-cuda 00000003
> raw-sha512-opencl       00000003

Until I see an uppercase SHA2 in the wild I don't think this is needed. Although it doesn't hurt fixing.

> This is the other way round, only in one GPU implementation split()
> unifies case:
> xsha512 00000003
> xsha512-cuda    00000003
> xsha512-opencl  00000003
> xsha512-ng-opencl       00020003

Same here.

> Other differences between flags of various implementations of the same
> format:
>
> False positives possible: yes vs. no:
>
> strip-opencl    00000103
> strip   00000003

We might want to rectify this but I'm not sure in what direction. Dhiru?

> ssh-ng  00000103
> ssh     00000003

This is correct. They are two completely different implementations and ssh-ng does in fact give false positives.

magnum