Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 12:55:19 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: limits within mscash2

On 06/08/2013 10:33 AM, jfoug@....net wrote:
> I am not sure why we have user name length and password length limits within the mscash2 format?  I plan to remove them, but at first, only on the CPU format.

Do we know what the real limits are? Otherwise just getting rid of these
limits is probably a good idea.
May be the maximum salt length is smaller than the maximum user name
length, and the salt gets cut at the max. length? How to verify this?
If we find out the real user name / salt length and password length
limits, these should be documented somewhere.
Can we generate some real mscahs2 hashes for very long user names and
passwords and include these for --test.

Frank