Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 01:58:19 +0200
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [pdf] Parallelizing MD5 on Intel Architectures

<quote>
In the case of ”John the Ripper” [1] by which our implementation was
inspired, sourcecode is available for review. On the Xeon machine used
(see figure 1) John reaches about 7.3 million MD5 iterations per second
in a single thread, whereas our 64 bit implementation reaches 33.4
million iterations per second. However, there are some differences
which might affect performance, because John the Ripper builds its
passwords by a more complicated grammar using dictionaries.
An earlier unpublished implementation by the authors of this paper
using OpenSSL performed around 0.8 million iterations per second.
</quote>
source: http://wwwcip.cs.fau.de/~spjsschl/md5.pdf
Source code is not available, we do not know what Xeon was tested, but
Is there something that we could make use of?

Lukas