Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 09:56:26 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bcrypt-opencl (was: bull software upgrade)

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> Sayantan -
>
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 09:07:27AM +0530, Sayantan Datta wrote:
> > On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 3:24 AM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > bf-opencl hangs forever
> >
> > I'm aware of that. bf-opencl hangs on 13.1 too.
>
> What's your plan on fixing bf-opencl (BTW, it should be renamed
> bcrypt-opencl now) to work with Catalyst 13.1+ fine?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alexander

There was a problem with loop unroll(automatically done by compiler). So I
unrolled it manually. This kind of problem is very common with AMD's
opencl. It generally happens with for loops with smaller loop count.
Compiler doesn't unroll properly when the unroll is a bit complicated.

Another concern is that the kernel is spilling registers, which it
shouldn't. This is lowering the performance too. Most likely the P box is
spilling.

Device 1: Tahiti (AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series)
Optimal Global Work Size:1024
Benchmarking: bcrypt-opencl ("$2a$05", 32 iterations) [Blowfish OpenCL]...
DONE
Raw:    3960 c/s real, 179200 c/s virtual

Regards,
Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped