Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 18:19:16 +0200
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: sha3-opencl

2013/6/3 Dániel Bali <balijanosdaniel@...il.com>:
> I'm stuck right at the beginning. I can't find the "raw-keccak-256"
> mentioned earlier in the thread. I looked in my local repo and used google
> too but found nothing. Does it perhaps have a different name?

You have to switch branch to bleeding jumbo to see it, to do so run
those commands:

$ git clone https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/
$ cd JohnTheRipper
$ git checkout bleeding-jumbo

rawKeccak_256_fmt_plug.c
There you can find:
#define FORMAT_LABEL		"raw-keccak-256"
This macro is used for john to select formats.

> I don't know much about copyright issues. What does it mean that we can't
> use them?

Same situaton as here:
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/06/02/17
When you find some piece of code online it does not matter that you
can do whatever you want with it.
We have one week for this task so there is no much time for resolving
this issue by asking people for the license.

Dhiru used CC code (part of KeccakF-1600-interface.h):

To the extent possible under law, the implementer has waived all copyright
and related or neighboring rights to the source code in this file.
http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

> I guess we can't copy (parts of) the code, but is it a copyright violation
> if somebody looks at it and then implements the hash function after they
> have an initial idea about how it works?

Maybe, but we do not have time for reinventing the wheel (next keccak
implementation).
Also this would be very error-prone - you miss one bit and you're
stuck for hours.

Lukas