Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 09:07:58 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 333 (half-badass number?)

On 05/30/2013 12:07 AM, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
> On 2013-05-18 23:55, magnum wrote:
>> I see we now have 333 formats in bleeding-jumbo.

Meanwhile we are at 337 (without GPU formats)

> Do we really need it?

All the _fmt_plug.c files you don't need can be moved somewhere else
(e.g., into a subdir of src), and you get a reduced binary.
(There have been a few bugs in the past when you did that, but I think
they were all fixed.)
Cleaning up dynamic.conf doesn't help too much, because just 31 out of
168 dynamic formats are defined in dynamic.conf

> I mean it's great that we have so many formats but should all of them be
> enabled by default?

Yes, I think so.
One reason is better test coverage.
The other is that many users would just assume a format isn't supported
if it is not enabled by default.

Frank