Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 17:50:02 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Generic format names

On 30 May, 2013, at 17:38 , "jfoug" <jfoug@....net> wrote:
> From: magnum Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:12
>>> So, here "dynamic_n" is followed by ", " instead of "\n".
>>
>> Oh, you just forgot to pull the latest commit (from 45 seconds ago ;-)
>
> But isn't -list=subformats so much more useful ;)
>
> The string "dynamic_104" really does not give too much information about
> what is being handled.  But the string "Format = dynamic_104  type =
> dynamic_104: WHIRLPOOL(WHIRLPOOL_raw($p))" provides all the information
> needed to see just what this subformat of dynamic really does.

Sure... but for consistence you should be able to say:

	$ ./john --list=subformats -form=dynamic_2*
or
	$ ./john --list=format-details -form=dynamic_2*

They give wrong outputs in different ways. I'd expect to get the list but only for the subset of dynamic_2, dynamic_20, 21 and so on. This doesn't work because dynamic has it's own "register all" that is not currently handling wildcards. Looks a little tricky to me, with scanf for "%d" and stuff. Would you like to have a shot or should I try to come up with a fix?

For non-dynamic formats like this:

	$ ./john --list=format-details -form=hmac*

...it's handled by john_register_all(), which actually only registers the matching formats. This means we can use it not only to *list* particular formats but also to only try to auto-recognize (bare) hashes using formats that match the wildcard.

magnum