Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 03:10:29 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: "john-dev@...ts.openwall.com" <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: X32 build, anyone?

Has anyone tried an X32 Linux? And in particular, benchmarked John the Ripper on it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X32_ABI
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEwMTk
http://wiki.debian.org/X32Port

"X32 is an ABI for amd64/x86_64 CPUs using 32-bit pointers. The idea is to combine the larger register set of x86_64 with the smaller memory and cache footprint resulting from 32-bit pointers."

Sounds pretty kewl. Some applications get significantly faster (25-40%) this way than with normal 32-bit and/or 64-bit builds. I am tempted to try it out. Perhaps there is a live USB stick available somewhere if you look around.

We might need a new build target, or maybe some existing targets will do fine... Perhaps just minor #ifdef or sizeof() tweaks to x86-64.h, if any.

magnum