Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 16:23:30 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: linux-ppc32-altivec build failure

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 02:18:30PM +0200, magnum wrote:
> On 16 May, 2013, at 13:00 , Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > magnum, can you verify that the posted fix doesn't break things on Mac?
> > ... Oh, I think you're with OS X 10.8, which no longer has Rosetta.
> > I'll test on my 10.5.8 with Rosetta, then.
>
> Right, I can't test it.

Perhaps you can test compilation for PPC with recent Xcode and on recent
OS X, just not actually running the resulting binary on your Intel Mac?

> But the original patch was for OSX and later tested on Linux, if I got it right.

Oh, it looks like the same compiler change was introduced on Linux (in
upstream gcc?) first and on OS X later, thereby eventually breaking the
old source code for both platforms.  I am still able to compile and run
the code in e.g. JtR 1.7.9 as-is on OS X 10.5.8 with a version of Xcode
from similar times.

Alexander