Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 00:12:11 +0400
From: Alexander Cherepanov <cherepan@...me.ru>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Unused global symbols in jumbo

On 2013-05-11 20:35, jfoug@....net wrote:
> Many of these have to be global.

Most items in the list are functions. I don't think they have to be global.

> There were issues in some compiling env's (cygwin??) where it would not align static variables.  Thus, we have #defines in each source, which mangles the normal name (crypt) into something unique to the format  (MD5Gen_crypt, etc).  Yes, they are globals, but steps have been taken to make sure they are linker safe.

Thanks for the info. I've found now the corresponding email from Solar:

http://openwall.com/lists/john-users/2008/08/31/2

> There is little/no gain worrying about unused globals. The only time it matters at all, is at link time.  The linker will tell you if there are problems.

I consider it a question of general robustness. Sure it's not critical
in any way (unlike crashes).

There were some talks last autumn about using static analyzers on jumbo
so I figured it out that there is some interest in general improvement
(not related to speed). Hence I sometimes post some observations about
the code in jumbo (and core if applicable). I could be wrong though.

--
Alexander Cherepanov