Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 1:45:24 -0400
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: RE: Enhancements to pbkdf2-sha256

Here is an SSE2 build:

$ ../run/john -test=5 -form=aix-ssha
Benchmarking: aix-ssha, AIX LPA PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA-1 / SHA-2 [32/32]... DONE
Raw:    74061 c/s real, 74737 c/s virtual

Note, the algorithm has not been changed, and may be hard to get 'right', since this format shares common code and a single format structure for 3 distinct hashes (sha1, sha256 and sha512 pbkdf2)  The timings posted in this email are 100% listing sha1 only.

The build right now, will use my oSSL code for an 'any' build (or building on a non-intel system).  The SSE build, will get SSE for any sha1 or sha256 crypt, but fall back to oSSL for any sha512, since I have not gotten the SSE2 port of that algorithm done yet.  I do have the SSE port in the pbkdf2_hmac_sha512.h file, but no underlying sse code yet, so it never compiles.

I will get the code into the bleeding tree shortly.

Not a bad improvement.  From 4.5k to 75k. 1600% improvement :)

JIm