Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 8:33:21 -0400
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
Subject: Re: Paths rework

---- Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
> On 05/04/2013 07:19 AM, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
> An alternative would be to make all the (default) subdirectories
> configurable.
>
> Invent a new john.conf section, and add variables which point to the
> appropriate directories per file type.

IMHO, I did not think the old way was all that bad, with the exception of the log/pot/rec files, i.e. temp files.

However, if we are proposing changes, then how about:

1. make $JOHN be the base directory of john, (under .current /src and ./run)
2. place john.conf into this dir (i.e. base dir, the new $JOHN).
3. add a new section to john.conf, that sets required location information for all other items.
4. place all executable files in 1 directory.  Whether it is run or bin, I do not care, but convention is bin.
5. make whatever changes are required in john executable or any other supporting executable to make sure they honor this.
6. if partial path file names are given on command line (i.e -pot=jims.pot -wo:mybig_list.dict), then john would search in the dir listed in the john.conf section.
7. have a env var  JOHN_LOCAL_CONF_DIR, and have john and other 'tools' honor that.  In fact the bottom local file include could be .include "$JOHN_LOCAL_CONF_DIR/john.local.conf"  If JOHN_LOCAL_CONF_DIR is not set in env, then JOHN_LOCAL_CONF_DIR would fallback to $JOHN

wordlist_dir = $JOHN/wordlists
rec_dir = $JOHN/tmp
log_dir = $JOHN/tmp
pot_dir = $JOHN/cracks