Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 21:49:43 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: "john-dev@...ts.openwall.com" <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: --make-charset in latest core

Solar,

I just added a an interim lanman.chr to bleeding. But it does not work:

../run/john test -form:lm -inc:lanman
Loaded 1 password hash (LM DES [128/128 BS SSE2-16])
Incorrect charset file format: $JOHN/lanman.chr

So I checked out core, re-built and re-created the charset file. Same md5sum. Tried to use it, using core john. Still, the above is output.

I have no idea what is wrong. Is it me? The other charset files were produced using an earlier revision of tree, but afaik nothing relevant changed and if anything, THEY should fail and not the new one!?

I do have a vague feeling I'm doing something wrong but I have no idea what it could be.

BTW output when generating is this:

$ ../run/john --make-charset=../run/lanman.chr --ext:filter_lanman
Loaded 49009153 plaintexts
Remaining 49008813 plaintexts
Generating charsets........................ DONE
Generating cracking order..-----------+---+--+-- Stable order (23 recalculations)
Successfully wrote charset file: ../run/lanman.chr (136 characters)

Resulting file is about 1.4 MB.

magnum