Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 13:59:09 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: pbkdf2_hmac_sha256 working with SSE

I just finished phbdkf_hmac_sha256, and ported django, lastpass and
lastpass_sniffed.

Benchmarking: Django PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA-256 (x10000) [32/32]... DONE

Raw:    121 c/s real, 121 c/s virtual

Benchmarking: LastPass offline PBKDF2 SHA1 [32/32]... DONE

Raw:    2415 c/s real, 2414 c/s virtual

Benchmarking: LastPass sniffed sessions PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA-256 AES [32/32]...
DONE

Raw:    2423 c/s real, 2425 c/s virtual

Benchmarking: Django PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA-256 (x10000) [128/128 SSE2 intrinsics
4x]... DONE

Raw:    381 c/s real, 381 c/s virtual

Benchmarking: LastPass offline PBKDF2 SHA1 [128/128 SSE2 intrinsics 4x]...
DONE

Raw:    7597 c/s real, 7596 c/s virtual

Benchmarking: LastPass sniffed sessions PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA-256 AES [128/128
SSE2 intrinsics 4x]... DONE

Raw:    7541 c/s real, 7541 c/s virtual

The way I wrote this, 'most' of the changes are simply loading arrays with
multiple values, within the crypt_all function.  The pbkdf2 works with the
original password arrays, and writes to the original crypt 'FLAT' buffers,
so that a format written in oSSL should be pretty trivial to change to SSE.

All that is needed, is change of algorithm, change of max keys (must be
COEF), and then a block in crypt, that matches the oSSL block, but that
builds arrays to pass to the pbkdf2.    In django, there was a bug I had to
find (in cmp_all).  It only looked at 1 crypt, unless OMP was defined. That
has to change to always look at count crypts.

I will get this wrapped up, and released soon (bleeding+) I did have to
change the interface to the SSESHA256body() function (I also changed the
sha512 function even though it is just a stub right now).

I had to separate the output and the reload buffers, as was done for SHA1.
I also had to make changes to sha2.h. I ripped out all of the header defines
from sha2.h that were for jtr's sha2.c file. I put these into their own
file.  Then within sha2.h, I simply include that new header.  This was done
so that I can 'force' load the jtr sha2.c code, to be used within the
pbkdf2_hmac_sha2.h sse function.  I need to harvest off the SHA256 'state'
after the first block.  I guess I could have done the first half crypts in
SSE2, but I thought that a little complex, but it may actually not have been
a bad way to go. However, the code in the pbkdf2_hmac_sha256.h is working
just fine.

Content of type "text/html" skipped