Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 21:29:12 +0400
From: Alexander Cherepanov <cherepan@...me.ru>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: testing all valid()s

On 2013-04-11 03:19, magnum wrote:
> On 11 Apr, 2013, at 0:55 , Frank Dittrich<frank_dittrich@...mail.com>  wrote:
>> Someone should also test all the samples which triggered crashes on all
>> the GPU formats.
>
> Yes. The GPU formats' valid() (as well as split&  prepare) should normally be identical to the CPU ones.

Isn't there any active plan to split formats from algorithms etc.?

> Any fixes to a CPU format should immediately be applied to the respective GPU format, in the very same patch, or it will be forgotten. Unfortunately, the latter has been the normal case.

Attached is a script to compare valids in different source files and its
output. Run it in the "src" dir like this:

   perl valids.pl *.[ch] | LANG=C sort > valids.txt

It saves all found valids into "valids" dir and prints corresponding
filenames with files containing identical valids grouped on the same
line. It finds 166 different valids in 180 files. Grepping out only
lines containing "cuda" and "opencl" we get:

cuda_cryptmd5_fmt.c
cuda_cryptsha256_fmt.c
cuda_cryptsha512_fmt.c
cuda_mscash2_fmt.c
cuda_mscash_fmt.c
cuda_phpass_fmt.c
cuda_pwsafe_fmt.c opencl_pwsafe_fmt.c pwsafe_fmt_plug.c
cuda_rawsha256_fmt.c
cuda_rawsha512_fmt.c
cuda_xsha512_fmt.c opencl_xsha512_fmt.c
opencl_DES_fmt.c
opencl_agilekeychain_fmt.c
opencl_bf_fmt.c
opencl_cryptmd5_fmt.c
opencl_cryptsha256_fmt.c
opencl_cryptsha512_fmt.c
opencl_dmg_fmt.c
opencl_encfs_fmt.c
opencl_gpg_fmt.c
opencl_keychain_fmt.c
opencl_krb5pa-sha1_fmt.c
opencl_mscash2_fmt.c
opencl_mysqlsha1_fmt.c
opencl_nsldaps_fmt.c
opencl_nt_fmt.c
opencl_ntlmv2_fmt.c
opencl_odf_aes_fmt.c
opencl_odf_fmt.c
opencl_office2007_fmt.c
opencl_office2010_fmt.c
opencl_office2013_fmt.c
opencl_phpass_fmt.c
opencl_rar_fmt.c
opencl_rawmd4_fmt.c
opencl_rawmd5_fmt.c rawMD4_fmt_plug.c rawMD5_fmt_plug.c
opencl_rawsha1_fmt.c
opencl_rawsha256_fmt.c
opencl_rawsha512-ng_fmt.c
opencl_rawsha512_fmt.c
opencl_strip_fmt.c strip_fmt_plug.c
opencl_sxc_fmt.c
opencl_xsha512-ng_fmt.c
opencl_zip_fmt.c zip_fmt.c

So almost all gpu formats have unique valids.

--
Alexander Cherepanov

Download attachment "compare_valids.pl" of type "application/x-perl" (455 bytes)

View attachment "valids.txt" of type "text/plain" (3469 bytes)