Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 13:05:06 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: MPI-openCL build; fast hashes are faster!!

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 03:24:57AM +0530, Sayantan Datta wrote:
> OpenCL-MPI build using openmpi results in some of the fast hashes to speed
> up by 1.5-3x without any extra modification  e.g. raw-md4,raw-md5,raw-sha1

The speed at raw-* on GPU is unimportant - they're way too slow until we
generate candidate passwords on GPU anyway.  Not for actual use yet,
even with a 3x speedup, except maybe if one has only a tiny GPU and an
even smaller CPU anyway.

> ,xsha512 and des.

For these, it matters.  For des-opencl, I've been testing 4 independent
processes (e.g. for different password lengths), which brings the
combined speed to around 60M c/s running against one descrypt hash on
7970.  This is still far from perfect (the target speed is a few hundred
million c/s), but it's a 3x improvement over CPU, so it makes sense for
some uses.

Alexander