Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 19:50:18 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: DCC2 performance

On 11 Feb, 2013, at 16:19 , Claudio André <claudioandre.br@...il.com> wrote:
> 2013/1/28 atom <atom@...hcat.net>:
>>
>> But for oclHashcat-plus default workload settings are a trademark
>> between cracking speed and desktop lags. That is for all hashes not
>> just DCC2.
>>
>> You can overwrite these settings and increase the workload by using
>> the parameters -n and --gpu-loops
>
> Magnum, we can benefit from a --hash-loops option too (I measured that).
>
> If you create the parameter/option, each split kernel author decide to use it (or not).

We already have a couple of experimental options (like --request-vector) that are silently ignored for most formats. I'm not very happy with that but I'm not sure what to do with it. We could add a bunch of flags like FMT_OPTIONALLY_VECTORIZED and FMT_TUNABLE_HASHLOOPS. Or we could continue just ignoring unsupported options.

Some of my formats only support certain values for HASH_LOOPS (eg. factors of 4095). I could re-write them more like the office formats (where the final kernel do any remainder of iterations). Or we could use more abstract options like --optimize=performance and --optimize=response. I think that would be more user friendly.

magnum