Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 21:21:27 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: formats failing test on big-endian

On 11 Feb, 2013, at 20:05 , Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 07:55:05PM +0100, magnum wrote:
>> I could not use Aurelien's images using Mint 13 (Ubuntu 12.10), not sure why. One paniced while booting kernel and the other hung in boot loader already.
>
> Maybe you were trying to give more than 256 MB of RAM to the VMs?  This
> is known to fail (usually during kernel startup).  Try "-m 256" or less.
>
> I think this problem is avoided in newer QEMU or/and guest kernels, but
> for the images I tried the problem was present.  It affects some archs
> only; definitely not x86 and x86-64, but I saw it with the ARM and SPARC
> images.

Thanks, no but it might be problems with openbios. Ubuntu has opted to drop openbios from their packages (Not open enough? So why supplying a bricked qemu at all?) and various files I have found so far does not seem to work. I thought they wouldn't depend on qemu version but they fail in various ways. Maybe I should build all of qemu from scratch instead.

magnum