Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 15:41:55 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: remaining DMG issues

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 12:36:22PM +0100, magnum wrote:
> This goes for all pbkdf2 OpenCL formats. I hope it's on Dhiru's to-do list. I have provided a generic split kernel that can be used.

Somehow it appears that our PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA-1 kernels are less
susceptible (or even not susceptible) to ASIC hangs. %-)  I just
realized that even with MSCash2, the kernel running time is about 800 ms
with default GWS on 7970 - yet we were able to successfully use it in
last year's Crack Me If You Can.

dmg-opencl is now running at 1599 c/s and GWS=81920 for over an hour,
and there's still no hang.

So maybe there's something in those kernels that avoids the problem.

Alexander