Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 19:16:40 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PDF format incompatibility (jumbo-7 vs. jumbo-8)

On 24 Jan, 2013, at 19:01 , Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
> On 01/24/2013 06:01 PM, shane Shane wrote:
>> The think the simplest solution is to validate the older hashes and then
>> convert them to the new format. I don't mind writing the code to do it. I'm
>> not that familiar with the internals of john but from what I can gather
>> from reading the code that uses the prepare method, prepare would be the
>> best place to do this. Is it always called before valid?
>
> Yes, you are right. The conversion should be done in prepare.
> Prepare will always be called before valid.

Prepare can even call valid(). The NT format is a good place to look. It has a prepare() for reading pwdump-style input. It also has a split, for unifying hash case and enforcing tags. So it can read bare hashes, tagged hashes or pwdump files, and regardless it will output tagged hashes in john.pot.

magnum