Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:31:24 -0600
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: "'Frank Dittrich'" <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
Cc: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Min password length

>>> There are algorithms that specify minimal, so trying words less than the min length is a total waste of resources.
>
>$ ./john --list=hidden-options |grep min
>--min-length=N            request a minimum candidate length

Then there should be a way to 'hook' this into a format.  Could be something added to init(), however, -test causes many init() calls to different formats, which would cause one format to force this, and then it would not be 'reset' after that format was tested.

The only reason I am asking, is to help -luser to not waste his time running over a range of data which can never be a valid candidate.

A smart user would know to modify a dictionary such as:  sed -n '/\(.\)\{8\}/p' wordlist > wordlist-8-chars    Also, using a filter is another option.  However, this is not automatic, and does not keep the format (which 'should' know its limitations), from getting invalid data.

Jim.