Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 23:38:58 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to use SHA-2 in JtR code

On 21 Jan, 2013, at 22:46 , "jfoug" <jfoug@....net> wrote:
> I am not overly sure about the 'extra' OpenSSL stuff (like AES, etc).  If
> we are building with the primatives coming from sha.c and sha2.c (i.e. the
> internal JtR versions), will these oSSL items even work???

We have formats that use OpenSSL's DES, BF, AES, RIPEMD and CAST and our SHA1/SHA2, and they seem to work just fine with -DFORCE_GENERIC_SHA2. Our sha1 just pulls in OpenSSL anyway (for non-SIMD), but the generic SHA2 seem to co-operate fine. OTOH I'm not 100% sure all these formats really end up using our SHA-2, we should test this on a machine that only has OpenSSL 0.9.7 installed and verify it really works. BTW it might be that Truecrypt can now be enabled for older OpenSSL too with some rework. After today's fixes it is the only format I know of that is completely disabled for OpenSSL 0.9.7.

> $ grep 'openssl/sha.h' *.c
> cuda_rawsha512_fmt.c:#include <openssl/sha.h>
> cuda_xsha512_fmt.c:#include <openssl/sha.h>
> kwallet_fmt_plug.c:#include <openssl/sha.h>
> lowpbe.c:#include <openssl/sha.h>

I did not look for non-sha2 cases now but we should put this on to-do for bleeding.

There are other similar stuff to do / to check: I'm not sure we need the gladman derive_key() at all anymore now that we have the code Lukas brought. Also, we have our own hmac-md5 but I think some formats use OpenSSL's (I'm not quite sure which is faster but our version does have minor optimizations, like skipping context wiping). This mess is a project in itself.

magnum