Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 14:30:06 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New shared find_best_gws

On 16 Jan, 2013, at 3:38 , Claudio André <claudioandre.br@...il.com> wrote:
> Hi, i created a new shared find_best_GWS.
>
> It uses:
> - format->set_salt, format->set_key, format->crypt_all, etc.
> - requires create_clobj and release_clobj (you have to give pointers to them so find_best_GWS can (m)alloc necessary memory).
> - (maybe) a new crypt_all_benchmark function (with unique events for all OpenCL commands).
>
> It can handle a set of formats for sure. Anyway, it will be nice if new formats authors try it (at least to show its problems).
>
> As usual, you can dance naked using legacy code and it still works.

Good stuff. I see you also added a opencl_find_best_lws() function. Is that a new version of opencl_find_best_workgroup() with more flexibility (eg. for split-kernel formats)?

I think we might want to adopt core JtR style and move/add comments to common-opencl.h. For example, this comment in the .c file might be better put in the .h file:

/*
 *   NOTE: Requirements for using this function:
 *
 * - Your kernel (or main kernel) should be crypt_kernel.
 * - Use profilingEvent in your crypt_all() when enqueueing crypt_kernel.
 * - Do not use profilingEvent for transfers or other subkernels.
 * - For split kernels, use firstEvent and lastEvent instead.
 */

And similar how-to comments should be added for some/many of the other functions. For deprecated functions (which we might end up making static or rationalize away eventually) we could point to the newer/better alternative. Obviously we shouldn't bother with this for unstable, only bleeding.

This would be of great help for developers trying to catch up, including myself!

magnum