Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 15:40:33 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: "john-dev@...ts.openwall.com" <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Tabs vs. spaces

I try to not complain about tabs vs. spaces in submitted code, but it quickly ends up very messy when several authors contribute to the same source files. I think it's time to recommend this excellent link again:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SmartTabs

The gist of it applies even if you do not use Emacs: Using tabs for indentation and spaces for alignment happens to produce code that complies with JtR coding style[1], and the punch line is that *you* can view the tabs in whatever width you like[2] and others can view them as whatever width *they* like, and there will just not be any problems. Code will always look good.

[1] http://openwall.info/wiki/how-to-make-patches

[2] There's one caveat: If you use a tab-width shorter than 8, you may produce lines longer than 80 characters when someone else views them using 8. For this reason, I use 8 for JtR although I like 4 better.

BTW when writing OpenCL host code, some lines often ends up so freaking long that I don't care about breaking them up to several lines. It just gets even harder to read.

Oh, and while I'm at it: Please try not to commit changes that just ADDS trailing trash whitespace. It's just not polite to the reviewers. Most editors can be configured to fix that too, if you just can't get rid of the tics ;-)

magnum