Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 21:18:17 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: --list= handling moved out of john.c

On 15 Jan, 2013, at 20:56 , magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 Jan, 2013, at 20:27 , Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
>> 1.
>> Should print_hidden_usage() move out of options.c into listconf.c (as a
>> static function)?
>
> In my opinion, no. Currently, all usage output is in options.c. For some time it wasn't (print_hidden_usage() was in john.c) and that made for mistakes.

Speaking of usage (reusing this thread just to annoy Solar ;-)

$ ../run/john --list=options
Subsections of [options]:
opencl
mpi

$ ../run/john --list=options:opencl
Section [options:opencl] not found.
help[:WHAT], subformats, inc-modes, rules, externals, ext-filters,
ext-filters-only, ext-modes, build-info, hidden-options, encodings,
formats, format-details, format-all-details, format-methods[:WHICH],
sections, parameters:SECTION, list-data:SECTION,
<conf section name>

The latter is a bug, no? Or how was this supposed to work? This behavior was seen before the move too.

magnum